08 December, 2005

That's brisk, baby

It was 19ºF and windy when I crawled out of the bed and into the shower this morning. I know that's nothing to my friends and family up north, but it's pretty nippy by Texas standards.

First, for the edification of those who read yesterday's prediction that I'd be held at the office too late to beat the huddled masses home in the freezing rain, the office closed at 3:00—before all hell broke loose. It was a slow-ish drive home with the defroster on full blast to keep ahead of the thin layer of ice that kept trying to freeze over my windshield; but aside from the overpasses and toll plazas where everyone slowed to a crawling-on-hands-and-knees pace, it wasn't bad. The serious panic cases were just starting to come out when I was within sniffing distance of the barn.

On to current events. The company doesn't announce whether or not the office will be closed for bad whether until 7am, which poses me a bit of a dilemma since I've usually been at work for at least 15 minutes by that time. If I went on in at my usual time, I might have to turn right around and drive back home; but if I waited until the announcement and the office wasn't closed, I'd be stuck in the middle of rush hour traffic with all the Nervous Nellies.

I chose the former. The announcement was posted, and sure enough... the office was closed. Ah well, at least the drive home was a breeze.

2 comments:

Lou said...

You Southern wimps can't handle the cold!
LOL

Foo said...

Yeah, yeah. Talk to me when it's 100º up your way for a couple straight months. Anyway, it's not the cold that's so hard to take as the fact that two days later it was in the 60s again.

There's never enough time to get your blood thinned out properly.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...