02 December, 2005

The death of a cyclist... and common sense

While I was sitting in my chair, watching some kid get clobbered by a streetlight pulled down by a runaway Thanksgiving parade balloon, Jim Price was fighting for his life. By Friday, he'd lost the fight, and the Denver cycling community had lost a valued, vibrant member.

apnews1.iwon.com/article/20051202/D8E829680.html

Teen Charged in Text Messaging Accident
Dec 2, 5:40 AM (ET)

HIGHLANDS RANCH, Colo. (AP) - A teenage driver accused of text messaging behind the wheel and hitting a cyclist was charged with a misdemeanor, authorities said.

The 17-year-old was charged with careless driving causing death, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. The charge carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison.

The victim, Jim R. Price, 63, was riding his bicycle Nov. 23 when he was hit by the teen's car, said Lt. Alan Stanton, a spokesman for the sheriff's office. Price died two days after the accident.

The teen has not been identified because he is a minor. Authorities said he lost control of the car because he was sending text messages on a cell phone. He was issued a summons and ordered to appear in court, authorities said.

I read something like this, and I can only shake my head in stunned amazement at the complete lack of judgment. It's bad enough having to dodge all the idiots weaving in and out of rush hour traffic, cell phone pressed to their ears with one hand and gesturing with a Starbucks cup in the other. Now we have to watch out for driving while text messaging?

When I first heard about the Colorado incident, I thought it must be a fluke. Surely, even most kid drivers are more responsible than that, right?

Maybe not. Two days later, my wife and I had been out for dinner with some friends and were driving home on The George (a.k.a., George W. Bush Tollway) when I noticed one of the cars ahead of us weaving in and out of its lane. We gave the car a wide berth, sped up to get around, and as we passed I could see the driver and her passenger. In the dark, I could see two spots of glowing light that I'm reasonably certain were cell phone displays.

They were text messaging.

Now playing: Chris Whitley, Living With The Law

1 comment:

Lou said...

Aerosmith said it best...

"There something wrong with the world today...I don't know what it is..."

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...