25 January, 2006

Heritage collage: New House

Since my earlier casual attempt at making a digital collage was met with some interest, I thought I'd post up this slightly more ambitious effort.

Its primary thematic element is the scan of a photocopy of the plat of a home my great-grandparents bought in 1928. I gave it a blue tint in the attempt to get back to what I thought the original blueprint might have looked like.

The photograph shows my great-grandparents with my grandfather and two of his siblings. Based on their apparent ages, I'm estimating that the photo was actually taken around 1925, but that was close enough for my purposes.

The folding ruler is one of Sweetie's scrapbooking stickers that I scanned, and the envelope that the journaling is "written" on is just something I had lying around and scanned.

I'm most pleased with the way the watch came out. Several years ago, during a visit with my parents, I got my dad to trot out the box of family treasures that have come into his care over the years. One of these items is my great-grandfather's pocket watch, which he habitually wore on a chain hooked through a button hole of his vest. If you look, you can see it in the photograph.

One by one, I laid the items out on a piece of white cardboard and photographed them as best I could. Some came out better than others, but the lighting wasn't ideal. The short of it is that cleaning up the photo of this watch forced me to reach deep into my bag of photo editing tricks and learn some new ones.

8 comments:

Anne said...

That's pretty cool. So where do you keep this nice "page" so that friends and family can view it? You should create a blog for these cool creations.

Foo said...

Honestly? I don't know. [chuckling]

I did it mostly as an exercise, but maybe if I get a few of them put together I'll put them up on my genealogy site.

Turtle said...

Not to bust your bubble, Foo. This is a spendifilous layout! :) In your journaling, you neglected to put the last names of the people in the picture. It's all part of the story, my love. *smooch*

Foo said...

Never fear, m'dear. The journaling on this public version has been modified to protect the innocent, but the version I would put up on the genealogy site or MyFamily does have the surname.

Foo said...

Oh yeah... I forgot to say "mua-ha-ha". [smirk]

Fred said...

Pretty cool stuff. I'm learning something.

Turtle said...

Susie: Just for you....*BIG SMOOCH*

Foo said...

Thumped you on the head, did he? That could explain a lot.

Okay, movie quote girl, what's this from?

First guy: Ow, Harold, Mom said not the head.

Second guy: Well, Mom's dead, so shut your fly trap.

First guy: I will if you shut your piehole.

Second guy: Don't make me kick ya where the good Lord split ya.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...