13 January, 2006

Honky Tonk Badonkadonk

A new single off Trace Adkins' album Songs About Me goes, in part, like this:
We don't care bout the drinkin'
Barely listen to the band
Our hands, they start a shakin'
When she gets the urge to dance
Drivin' everybody crazy
You think you fell in love
Boys, you better keep your distance
You can look but you can't touch
That honkey tonk badonkadonk
Keepin' perfect rhythm
Make ya wanna swing along
Got it goin' on
Like Donkey Kong
And whoo-wee
Shut my mouth, slap your grandma
There outta be a law
Get the Sheriff on the phone
Lord have mercy, how's she even get them britches on
That honky tonk badonkadonk
Full lyrics

In the interest of full disclosure I have to admit that I find this song amusing. It's fun, and I like a badonkadonk as much as the next red-blooded, not-quite-dead-yet male.

But what an odd meeting of cultures.

According to the first entry at Urban Dictionary, badonkadonk means
An ‘ebonic’ expression for an extremely curvaceous female behind. Women who possess this feature usually have a small waist that violently explodes into a round and juicy posterior (e.g., 34c, 24, 38). Other characteristics would be moderately wide hips and a large amount of booty cleavage...

"Her badonkadonk made a brotha pop mad wheelies."
Hank Williams must be spinning in his grave. Sure, there's a bar and, ostensibly, drinking involved. But where's the pickup truck? Where's the faithful canine and the farm being taken by the bank?

It seems the Big & Rich bandwagon jumping has commenced.

3 comments:

Foo said...

Pop, Pop Country, Metal, Blugrass, Insurgent Country, Alternative, Rock, Prog Rock, Punk, Classic Rock, Classical, New Wave, New Age, Rockabilly, Instrumental Rock, Bubblegum. I don't cull much.

I draw the line at all this "gansta" hip-hop [c]rap and ululating, overwrought R&B—and I have to be in a special mood for Tejano, opera, or polkas (which kind of gets back to the Tejano thing)—but pretty much anything else is fair game.

I started listening to a couple of the Modern (read "Pop") Country stations a couple years ago. Sweetie had more or less dared me to get up and sing karaoke one night when we were at one of my favorite bar & grills. When I discovered my baritone range is better suited to Country than most Pop and Rock, I started listening to learn some songs.

The Dallas radio market is in sad shape. We have several Classic Rock stations, all playing various combinations of '70s and '80s stuff that I was tired of 20 years ago. We have several "mix" stations that play a variety of Pop and Light Rock (that I was tired of 20 years ago). We have exactly one Alternative Rock station, which mostly plays such dark, negative stuff that I'm uncomfortable listening to a lot of it. Maybe the music has changed since I enjoyed that station in the '90s. Maybe I have.

In any event, once I started listening to the country stations, I first discovered that most of the new country isn't like that stuff they used to play on Hee Haw. A lot of it isn't much different than what they're playing on the Pop stations, or some of the country/rock hybrids like Old 97s, Son Volt, and The Jayhawks. I also discovered that the content of a lot of it is more in tune with where I am at this time in my life, with the love of my life by my side.

Darkness and despair just doesn't speak to me like it used to. I haven't played those Nine Inch Nails or Verbena CDs in years.

Lou said...

Radio is still in flux with "Engulf and Devour" (read Clear Channel) still dominating the market. I see a lot of what you are talking about with the "dark" music coming into its own. I find myself doing a lot of channel hopping on FM. But there is always ESPNRadio - LOL

Mike said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...