29 March, 2006

Children of the atom

While sifting through the various news clips and music videos on comcast.net, I stumbled upon a trailer for X-men 3: The Last Stand, scheduled to come out this summer. One of the mutants who briefly appears in the clip has what looks like porcupine quills sticking out all over her head and face. I thought about how Rogue is always sulking about not being able to make skin on skin contact with anyone, for fear of stealing his life force. Maybe she should just suck it up and be grateful that she could even get close enough for it to be a concern. Porcupine girl can't even snuggle! It'd be like hugging an iron maiden (now there's a name for a character).

Back in the days when I was a huge fan of the X-men comic—back when there was only one X-men title, instead of all the watered-down spin-offs—it wasn't Wolverine who was my favorite character. My favorite was Nightcrawler.

Nightcrawler was smaller and weaker than many of the other characters, but he was smart, and he was quick, and he could teleport. More than that, he was a man of faith. In fact, in some alternate timelines he became a Catholic priest, which struck me as an intentional irony given his devilish appearance.

But if I were a mutant, I doubt I'd get cool powers like teleportation and the ability to climb walls. I'd probably be more like porcupine girl. Or I'd get the ability to turn invisible, but only when no one was looking at me.

And that's fine because, realistically, I don't want the responsibility for flying around the world in a hopped-up jet fighting monsters and evil mutants.

My mutational goals are more modest and run more toward sprouting a third arm from the back of my neck. I figure that would be the best place for it, because I'd still be able to wear normal shirts (just with a larger neck size). It would come in really handy for all those times when I'm trying to glue something, because I'd have the extra hand to apply the glue. When changing a flat tire in the dark, I'd have a spare hand to hold the flashlight. Or on a windy day, I could be carrying a box of stuff while the third arm kept my hat from blowing away.

Yeah, teleportation would be cool, but I think that third arm would be a lot more practical.


Now playing: Nikka Costa, Everybody Got Their Something

10 comments:

Tink said...

*Snort* That's great. A third arm would definitely come in handy. Haha. Pun intended. Although it would be even better if it had stretch capabilities too. It would also help if it could go invisible. Unless you always WANTED to work in a circus.

Foo said...

Oh, I work in a circus, all right...

Anonymous said...

ur a dork

Jenn said...

Foo,
Looks like you have an admirer, and in your time zone, too.

Teleporting is admirable, I don't know about the third arm, but being able to fly would rock!!! No cars, insurance, getting stranded by a flat. Or maybe being invisible?

Nightcrawler sounds very cool. Having grown up with only sisters, I could easily tell you what Archie and Veronica had going on but nothing about X-Men until the movie came out. I loved the movie.

So how did you like the trailer?

Foo said...

Emma: I knew I shouldn't have given Mom the URL to my blog.

I think the trailer looks interesting. They're introducing a few more of the old standby X-men in this one (Beast and Angel), as well as one of their long-time enemies, Juggernaut.

Jean Grey is back in this one, but since you aren't familiar with Nightcrawler, I'm assuming you haven't seen X-men 2 yet. I don't want to give anything away, but I'll just say that I'm interested to know if Jean's appearance in X-men 3 means what it did in the comic book series' timeline.

The business with Magneto and his mutants trying to get Xavier and the X-men to join them in their battle against humanity is a pretty central theme in the comic books, but I can't recall there ever being a war on the scale of that suggested in the X3 trailer. Some other elements are familiar, but the way they're being assembled suggests the writers have been cherry picking their favorite plots from throughout the X-men comic continuity.

That's not necessarily a bad thing if they do it as carefully as in the first two movies. However, I'm told the director who originally contracted for three movies bailed on this one, so we'll just have to see. It could be a real dog's breakfast if the director comes in and makes a mess of the X-men like Joel Schumacher did with Batman.

I expect Uncle Joe will agree.

Turtle said...

First, to anonymous, he is not a dork. He is a geek. Get your terminology correct.

Foo has sold me on the X-men series -- the movies. Personally, I'm a big fan of Wolverine (hubba hubba). I dunno what it is about him...the strong muscular body...the animal/beast in him...or the fact that I've had a crush on the actor since he starred in "Kate & Leopold." *swoon*

Emma: You have got to see the 2nd movie! It's awesome! Both are awesome!

That brings to mind another movie "Hell Boy." Okay...I kinda thought Foo was goofy when he suggested I watch it...but it was good too! The character is fantastic! I've watched it several times and have enjoyed every one.

Lou said...

Wow - the possibilities with a 3rd arm...LOL

DebbieDoesLife said...

You had me at Nightcrawler. He is a member of the European X-men, German actually.

He was always my fav too. I didn't like how they made him look in the movie though. I like him better in the comics and action figures.

Foo said...

Debbie: "European X-men"? Is that a title that's come out since 1999 (which is when I stopped buying comics) or so? Or are you referring to Excalibur, which I know some people referred to as European X-men?

Either way... yes, I knew Kurt Wagner was German. That's probably part of what gave me such a feeling of kinship with him. In addition to the reasons I mentioned in my original post, Wagner is about my height (before I started shrinking, at least) and is only a year younger, according to his unofficial biography.

Speaking of this biography, I found it interesting that Mystique is listed as Kurt's aunt, when we all know that she turned out to be his mother. Which I know will come as a shock to the folks who only know Nightcrawler and Mystique from the movies. I also see that someone named Rahne is listed as a sister-in-law. Wait... Kurt Wagner got married? Is this Rahne as in Wolfsbane, from the New Mutants.

Probably just some creative license taken for gaming purposes. Marvel doesn't mention that stuff in their biography.

Anonymous: I'll save you the trouble. I'm a dork. [insert obscene gesture here]

Anne said...

I'd use that third arm for continual back scratching - on myself.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...