30 March, 2006

In my dreams

I typically don't dream——at least, I don't remember my dreams——but lately I have, and my long-suffering wife has had to endure several rambling recountings. Poor thing, she hasn't even got her eyes to unsquint, hasn't even had the benefit of half a cup of coffee yet, and I'm nattering on about some oddball dreamscript that piqued my interest.

So Sweetie... you have my permission to slip away and read some other blog.

Caution: subconscious at work

When I've been doing a lot of programming, I have a tendency to dream in code. C++ code, PHP code... whatever.

These are not restful nights for me, because I'm troubled by dreams where my brain is trying to work out some sort of nonsensical program logic. When this happens, I don't sleep soundly and there's enough of my conscious mind at work so that it realizes the stuff the subconscious has come up with isn't valid and tries to figure out how to fix it. But it can't because it's not enough in control to completely dismiss it as nonsense and move on to something more interesting. (Maybe something involving Eva Longoria because, frankly, if Turtle's going to keep dreaming about Vin Diesel I think I'm entitled.)

Anyway, this process often continues for some time, in an endless loop. I wake up feeling tired and disoriented. I mentioned this to a fellow programmer recently and was strangely relieved to learn that he has the same problem.

Dream house

Lately, my dreams have contained an unusual amount of detail about specific places and buildings.

A few weeks ago, it was a three-story frame house of the architectural style that was being built in the northern United States in the '40s. It's generally in good repair, but a bit worn at the heels. Its brown siding has a grimy look, as if located near a railway and patinaed by soot from passing locomotives. Inside, the rooms are mostly empty aside from the odd bit of overturned furniture abandoned by some previous resident.

One exception is a small bedroom on the third floor, which is fully furnished with a twin bed, a dresser, and a wooden chair——all of which appear to be clean and new, in contrast with the clean but worn wooden floor. It's very warm upstairs, and the walls and ceiling are lined by a sort of mosquito netting. The netting is translucent but has a reflective coating on the outward-facing surface, apparently to help keep the room cool. The netting billows slightly from a slight breeze admitted by the single window, which is open.

As I look out the window, I have a commanding view of the surrounding landscape. The house is situated on the outskirts of an urban area, near a tree-lined stream. The trees are bare, and I can see paper litter here and there along the banks, as well as an abandoned stove that someone dumped there. The drive leading up to the house and back into a wooded area is just a pair of worn dirt tracks.

There's a basement, which is accessed from outside via a pair of old-style storm doors. I don't recall details about the basement, except that the stairs lead down to a network of tunnels. I know this because I have a sense that I've been to this house previously in other dreams and probably will return in the future.

I've been malled

Last night, I dreamed I was attending a wedding reception that was held at an irrationally large restaurant in a very large mall. This isn't remarkable* in itself, but the mall is one that I've visited numerous times in dreams.

The specific store I'm patronizing varies. I've had dreams where I was shopping for sporting goods, clothes, and a diamond ring. Once, I was buying ice cream. Almost always, I'm there at closing time and have to rush from one end of the mall to the other to get to the entrance near where I parked. Sometimes I make it; sometimes I have to leave by a different door and walk around the outside, in the dark, nearly-deserted parking lot.

But that's not the end of it. I also know from past experience that a supermarket, a roller skating rink, and a smallish dive of a nightclub are neighbors of the mall. I know this because I've visited these, as well. None of these is a place I can identify from my waking life.

* Aside from the ABC commentators sitting at a small folding table in front of a large institutional refrigerator in the kitchen. They're judging a dog show, the only contestant of which appears to be a small, poofy-looking dog shivering in the arms of an elderly man wearing a Hawaiian shirt and an eye patch. One of the judges, who looks like Barbara Bush (Dubya's mom), offers me a half-eaten custard-filled doughnut as I rush past. Despite my love of custard-filled doughnuts, I don't accept it.

Now playing: Robyn Hitchcock, Queen Elvis

11 comments:

Anne said...

Okay~

Jenn said...

you are the fourth blog I have found that posted about dreams. SOO weird.
people must be affected by the change in season.

Turtle likes Vin Diesel?? How about the Riddick movies. Oh, my FAVORITE!!

Foo said...

If I remember correctly, she wasn't so keen on Riddick but loved The Pacifier.

Anne said...

I don't remember my dreams. The Hubbs always dreams there is a fire in the house and he can't get to the kids. It really bothers him.

Turtle said...

Vin Diesel *hubba hubba* Ahem. I liked him in "Fast & Furious," "XXX" and the "Pacifier." "The Chronicles of Riddick" weren't back -- just not my favorite. I like HIM. A LOT! *drool*

He's definitely on my top 5 list. Then there's Hugh Jackman....

Okay. I better stop. Foo, you can drool over Eva Longoria all you want. :)

Bret said...

Whatever you do, don't walk towards the light! Don't walk towards the light!

You inspired me today.

Foo said...

Inspired, you say.

Well, I suppose The Inquisition will allow the occasional, momentary lapse of reason; but finding inspiration here on anything approaching a regular basis will surely land you in a padded room, sporting a stylish shortcoat that buckles in the back.

Unless, of course, you're into that kind of thing.

Foo said...

Susie: You suck at dream interpretation, you know that? [laughing] For one thing, I've seen pictures of Fred, and that was definitely not him in my dream. I guess the dog could have been jenn's if her dog looks like a caramel-colored powder puff with little black beads for eyes.

Or maybe a tribble.

It's this fascination women have with guys like Vince Vaughn and Mark Ruffalo that reassures me that a) I'll never understand what women find attractive in a man and b) that I'm, like, so heterosexual. I can see Vin, or even Ed Harris (another bald man who's caught Turtle's eye), but Mark Ruffalo? That mush-mouthed slacker-looking guy who always sounds like he's half an hour into a bottle of codeine? Vince Vaughn?? The guy's funny and all, but he looks like Frankenstein's monster with that giant block of a head.

He was funny in Dodgeball and Wedding Crashers, though. Much more so than, say, Will Farrell—another guy I know the Badoozer's into but whom I just don't "get".

This has turned into a whole 'nother post, hasn't it? No wonder my blog always looks like Old Mother Hubbard's cupboard of blog postings.

No, I've never Googled for dream interpretation. I could be wrong, but I've always felt like if the stimulae for my dreams wasn't reasonably obvious, then trying to interpret them is kind of like palm reading. If you come up with general enough answers, they fit pretty much any question.

Other answers. No, I'm not always alone in my dreams. In the one about the mall, there were lots of people at the wedding reception (which is why I was leaving) in addition to the Hawaiin shirt guy, Babs Bush, and the other couple judges. Sometimes people I know in real life make guest appearances in my dreams; mostly they're no-name actors and extras.

I used to think that I only dreamed in black and white. Certainly, I don't come away with impressions of technicolor greens, reds, and yellows, but I do know what colors things are—as in the case of the brown house and the surrounding countryside—but maybe the color is more muted, like a colorized black and white movie. Or that movie Rumblefish, where only certain things were in color.

Jenn said...

carmel colored with beady eyes? that dog must have been a peep in disguise. Hey, No more rhymes now, I mean it!"

"Anybody want a peanut?"

ARGGG!!!

I dream in color, vivid and usually frantic, saving my kids. Some dreams I have over and over.

hehe, Turtle, Hugh Jackman! I like (and married) tall dark and handsome. Goran Visnjic is one of my favorites.
Eva??? Oh, foo, you can do better.

Foo said...

emmadahling: Eva was just the first aesthetically pleasing name that popped into my head. I would have mentioned Scarlett Johansson, but I have Levis older than her and didn't want to sound like a perv.

For brains, looks, and humor all in one package, I always think of Téa Leoni.

For pure romance, it would be Jane Seymour or Julia Ormond.

For comic book body, beauty, and beat-'em-up, I still like Milla Jovovich more than Jessica Alba or Jennifer Garner.

Andrew Fletcher said...

dreaming in C++ and php code? I have the same sort of thing happen when I run through a bunch of Cisco configs. Uttering incoherent phrases using router config terms and then switching to firewall or switch terms when I get a blank stare. It must happen to all IT folks.?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...