10 March, 2006

Get a rope

Over on Random Walk, Bret gets the nod for most timely link of the day.

No longer will I be forced to rage impotently against the pitiless and malevolent spirit of the 21st Century workplace. Now I can rage against Robert Propst, inventor of the cubicle—for all the good it will do me, since said instrument of not-good karma up and died in 2000.

It's not just me. Immediately after reading Bret's post, I shared the link to the article with some of my fellow cubicle dwellers. They had already rounded up torches and pitchforks by the time I got to the part of the article that mentions Propst is escaped to the great beyond, and it was a tricky business breaking that news without becoming the alternate target of this techie lynch mob.

2 comments:

Turtle said...

Suz, that's him all right, making one of his goofy faces. *shaking head* He's not used to cubie land, being the big programming geek that he is, he has always been in an office with a door. OOOOHHHHH! The peons in this world (namely yours truly) has mostly lived in cubies. Of course, before that I all I had was a desk. No walls. In my last job I was lucky enough to have high cubie panels, before leaving the workforce for marriage. Someday I shall return, then I can angst with you all in the bodily function symphony that occurs. I never used to notice it, but I probably will now. Then I can revel in the angst of missing my home office. *sigh*

eric said...

i can't quite decide whether the lowering of the cubicles is good or bad. i lean toward good just for human interaction.

it does limit, though, the humorous sight of people "prairie-doggin'" to see who's in the office.

e+

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...