19 June, 2006

Arms race

This year, for the first time, I've been following the Race Across America (RAAM)—a 3000-mile ultra-endurance bicycle race that starts in Oceanside, California, and ends in Atlantic City, New Jersey. I won't go into how that works, but if you're interested in some details, go check out RAAM 101.

So why the sudden interest? Well, at first it was because I caught wind that Jim Kern would be making his first solo attempt (as in "3000 miles, one set of legs, and nearly no sleep") on a Bacchetta recumbent bike. Things got more interesting when I learned that there was also a two-man recumbent team (Volae Wolf Pack), that a couple people from the BikeJournal.com forums would be riding on the Cyclonauts four-man team, and that a woman I know from the local cycling club would be riding as part of the JDRF four-person tandem team.

What I didn't expect was that I'd find myself rooting for the RC-Enjo Vorarlberg six-man handcycle team from Austria. At first, the notion of cranking a handcycle not much different than Turtle's through the desert, through the mountains, through the howling prairie winds—all day and all night—was quite enough to impress the hell out of me.

It wasn't enough for the RCV team, though. While Jim Kern succumbed to pulmonary edema and had to withdraw, while the Cyclonauts struggled with bad luck and mechanical problems, and while Team JDRF and the Wolf Pack fought to keep up, the Austrian handcycle team continued to crank right along. According to the official statistics, they have maintained an average of 12.77, as of their check-in to time station 44, in Circleville, OH.

Using just their arms.

Just think about that for a moment. Most of us have to sit down and rest if we have to pull the starter cord on our lawnmowers more than a few times.

4 comments:

Anne said...

"Most of us have to sit down and rest if we have to pull the starter cord on our lawnmowers more than a few times." So true.

We are so spoiled.

Bret said...

I'm sure you meant to write, "Most of us have to sit down and rest if we have to get up off the couch to pay the guy who mows our lawn."

Don't thank me -- I'm here to help.

Gwynne said...

I was worn out after just mowing the lawn on a riding mower the other day...no arm or leg strength required. Sheesh. I am very impressed with anyone who can ride a handcycle more than a mile or two (Turtle included)!

Foo said...

Susie: We'll have no crap slapping here, thank you very much.

Gwynne: The whole lawnmower thing was just a random example... but Turtle's my hero.



Anne: I don't know that we're necessarily spoiled, but thinking about traveling that kind of distance under the power of only my arms does make me realize that I take my leg strength for granted.

Bret: The "pay someone" angle hadn't even occurred to me. I'll bet you can guess why. [grin]

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...