08 June, 2006

Random Thursday

My well of inspiration seems to be suffering a drought of its own, so borrowing the Random Thursday concept from Eric, I offer the following misfires:
  • I was listening to the radio on my way to work this morning, and the host was discussing one of Google's little in jokes with the news guy. You know: type in "failure", click "I'm feeling lucky", and up pops Dubya's bio at www.whitehouse.gov.

    I find this sort of joke a bit tiresome, but more because this sort of thing is just so 20th century than because of an unswerving allegiance to President Bush.

    What I did find interesting was the news guy's observation about Bush's bio page. At the bottom, there's a link to the same bio En EspaƱol. Not Vietnamese, not French, and not whatever it is that the friendly guy at the corner 7-11 speaks. "Why just Spanish?", he wondered.

    "Because," I said to no one in particular, "the Vietnamese, Koreans, Pakistanis... all those folks bust their butts to learn English from pretty much the first moment after they step off the [metaphorical] boat."

  • This month's search terms:

    c++ program for parking garage Technology is not a toy. Our parking garage doesn't have anything fancier than a card reader for opening the gate, and the blasted thing only works half the time. Adding computer logic to the mix could only end in sorrow.

    it's five o clock and just to keep our jobs, gotta find my way to the whistle , sounds of the morning, in my brain, while another day goes down the drain, Could you be more specific?

    finger goat colon coworker Could you be less specific? Or just go away?

  • This morning, as I was heading out the door, Turtle warned me that she'd heard on the radio that there was a big wreck on the northbound side of my primary route to work. I thanked her for the information and promptly dragged it to my mental Recycle Bin (for you Mac users, that's the file deletion limbo where Windows accumulates all the deleted files for a second deletion when you're really, really, really sure you don't need it any more), because I was headed south.

    And yet, as I approached the location where the accident was reported to be, my progress was blocked by four entire lanes of bumper-to-bumper morons who, at the first sign of flashing lights, had slowed to a crawl in the perverse hope that they might catch a glimpse of someone's brains and teeth scattered across the road on the other side of the concrete barrier.

    Call me detached, but I figure that unless I'm in a position to help, the victims' situation is significantly less my business than getting to work is. If you want gore, go rent Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In the meantime, eyes forward and full speed ahead.

9 comments:

Fred said...

"Five O'Clock World" by The Vogues. A great song.

Foo said...

Susie: The format is Eric's (and Tink's, come to think of it); the screed is mine.

Here, in cubicle land, it's called "prairie dogging". People don't even have to walk past (although that happens too); they just stand and peer over the cubicle walls to see what someone else is doing. If they're feeling particularly nosey, they just stand on the desktops.

I don't think I could be accused of rubbernecking in the halls, though. The only time I leave my cubicle is to heat my lunch in the microwave or to go to the men's room, where I gather blogging material.

Fred: I'm pretty sure the verbose Googler got here because of this, despite his/her mangling of the actual lyrics. I was taken by the tenacity required to enter half the song as a search term.

Foo said...

Eric: Yes, that too. And yet, I've been under the impression that one must learn English in order to become a citizen. Since only citizens can vote, it does make one—a different "one" from the earlier "one"—wonder which bloc Dubya's catering to by providing his bio in Spanish.

Hmmm...

Nurse! Nurse! Where's my dadburned medication?! I feel one o'my spells comin' on!

WV: "lxrgx". XX-large for dyslexics.

Gwynne said...

I've been trying to say something important around here all freakin' day! Stupid Blogger!!

It appears that your well of inspiration is flowing again. I loved the search terms...and on second thought, I think you were right not to toe the line on the tootsie meme. You've got some strange readers. ;-)

Good points about the English speaking requirements to vote...in KS, there's a proposal that will require all students to learn Spanish. While the rest of the world struggles to learn English. hrmph

...or to go to the men's room, where I gather blogging material

Okay, that's just gross. But funny. ;-)

Turtle said...

Foo: "...or to go to the men's room, where I gather blogging material"

Gwynne: "Okay, that's just gross. But funny. ;-"

Okay...I must be gross too. That's where I get some of my most creative ideas! Well, the women's room (of course), but it is the one time I can sit and ponder, relatively interuption free. That is except when the eldest and biggest cat walks in and insists on a all over rub down, positioning in such a way I'm unable to "do my business and get out." It's also the one time I don't run over his tail, since I'm sans wheels. (smart cat)

Nonetheless, it's still a great places for generating ideas!

Foo said...

Jeez Louise, you two. You're taking the whole bathroom thing way too literally. I was simply referring to the couple earlier posts, like the one about the guy having a cell phone conversation while sitting on the throne. Or the mystery of how someone manages to leave a puddle on top of the urinal.

Gwynne said...

I like Susie's idea about building a makeshift homestead in Lower Cubeville. Only I'd use a mosquito net, like in Out of Africa, for an artistic romantic effect.

Foo said...

Susie and Gwynne: Good ideas, but my preferences would run more toward an electrified fence.

Gwynne said...

Oh, and Turtle? I have to agree with you...the peace and solitude found in the women's room is a good time to ponder serious post material. The men's room, on the other hand, just gross. ;-)

And apparently I missed some of Foo's previous posts and must now go research the archives...because I simply can't help myself.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...