20 June, 2006

Wellness training

I attended a brown bag lunch thingy about stress management and personal wellness at work today. My hope was that there would be something in the program about how to cope with the annoyances that come from working in cubicles, but that sort of useful material was studiously avoided. Instead, there was a lot of perfectly good information about how to manage deadlines, how to let it go when someone is too preoccupied to say "good morning", etc.

Pointers that would be useful in a work environment that's not as dysfunctional and organizationally abstract as ours is.

As a parting gift, the speaker turned on a white noise machine that made sounds like ocean surf and sea birds. She told us to close our eyes and then led us through a visualization exercise in which we were walking down the beach in our bare feet, alone, completely at peace.

So there I was, walking down the beach, watching the waves—and I stepped on a stranded jellyfish. I muttered a curse, hopping around while rubbing my foot and trying to remember if dead washed-up jellyfish can sting, before losing my balance and falling face first in the sand.

"Now sit down in the sand. Wiggle your toes..."

Spitting salty grit, I sat up and started rooting my feet around in the sand. I promptly cut the ball of my foot on a half-buried Pringles top.

"...and look out across the water to the horizon. You see a warm glimmer of light, and as you watch it comes closer, closer... but you're not afraid."

What the...

"The glowing orb approaches you, and as it hovers over your ankles, you feel warmth."

Probably the blood spurting from my foot.

"Slowly, the orb makes its way up your legs toward—"

Whoa. Hold up, there. This was starting to sound just a little too much like some weird-ass Philip José Farmer novel.

That's when my visualization took a detour. I walked off the beach to my car, unloaded my bike, and rode away—leaving my stress, a dead jellyfish, and a bloody Pringles top behind.

8 comments:

Allez said...

Funny :-)

Bret said...

I was talking movies with a friend of mine a long while back, and I mentioned how I enjoyed "E.T.," and she said, "I thought it was dumb. I mean, who gets on a bike and rides into the air?"

I'm thinking she might have had the same issues with this visualization exercise as you.

Foo said...

Allez: Believe it or not, the only embellishment was the Pringles top. It was actually a pull tab from a drink can, but I was afraid some younger readers might not know what I was talking about—so I changed it.

Bret: I'm not sure what the problem was, but I have a short list of theories:

• I couldn't relate to the New Age hoo-ha-ness of it.
• My internal cinematographer is far too literal and detail oriented.
• I don't understand all the fuss about being next to an ocean.
• I'd rather be riding my bike.

Gwynne said...

...leaving my stress, a dead jellyfish, and a bloody Pringles top behind.

And all those strange people with their eyes closed, sitting in the lunch room imagining orbs crawling up their legs...that's just downright creepy!

Very funny! Sounds like just the sort of "wellness" (sensitivity) training you were needing. Maybe you should re-take the sociopath test now. ;-)

Tink said...

LMAO!! I love your mind.

Only YOU would step on a jellyfish while engaging in a relaxing mental exercise.

Mine would have been a land-shark.

Jenn said...

HAHAHA! At least the sea salt cleaned your wound. RIght? That's funny.

In my prenatal classes, my birthing coach saying "go to your happy place". Mr. Coffee whispered to her, "THAT'S what got us here."

So, I envision Ronald McDonald at The Happy Place at Mac N Dons. You know the play area for kiddies....I was the only one laughing in the room. They probably thought I was nuts.

Anne said...

You're a hoot!!

Bill said...

In a large corporation, a long, long time ago...

The VP herded us into the auditorium and announced that by the end of the Quarter half of us would be laid off, but don't worry, it's nothing personal.

A week later we were herded into the auditorium, renamed the Abattoir, and the Stress Lady took us through the same island-sand-sun "relaxation" exercise.

I hate the beach.

By the time Stress Lady was done with me I was a total wreck. I kept trying to visualize myself at the pool drinking a mai-tai, but nooooooo...

The rest of the story is that some months later Stress Lady had a nervous breakdown. I guess she hated the beach, too.

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...