08 May, 2006

$20

I'm not usually big on inspirational chain letters and the like, but I received this one from my sister today and felt it was worth sharing:
A well-known speaker started off his seminar by holding up a $20.00 bill. In the room of 200, he asked, "Who would like this $20 bill?"

Hands started going up.

He said, "I am going to give this $20 to one of you but first, let me do this.

He proceeded to crumple up the $20 dollar bill.

He then asked, "Who still wants it?"

Still the hands were up in the air.

Well, he replied, "What if I do this?" And he dropped it on the ground and started to grind it into the floor with his shoe.

He picked it up, now crumpled and dirty.

"Now, who still wants it?" Still the hands went into the air. My friends, we have all learned a very valuable lesson. No matter what I did to the money, you still wanted it because it did not decrease in value. It was still worth $20.

"Many times in our lives, we are dropped, crumpled, and ground into the dirt by the decisions we make and the circumstances that come our way. We feel as though we are worthless.

"But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value.

"Dirty or clean, crumpled or finely creased, you are still priceless to those who do love you. The worth of our lives comes not in what we do or who we know, but by who we are.

"You are special- Don't ever forget it."

9 comments:

Turtle said...

This one is worth repeating.

"But no matter what has happened or what will happen, you will never lose your value."

Good job.

Anne said...

That was a good read. I had to go back and read several posts of yours that I've missed. I forgot how much I enjoy your writing.

Jenn said...

That is soo good!

Oh, wait.

So, Im all crumpled up, dirty and green, too! (runs away crying)

Foo said...

I was all crumpled up, torn, and dirty. Value intact or no, no one wanted to touch me until Turtle came along and picked me up off the sidewalk. She uncrumpled me, mended my tears, and cleaned me up.

And now I'm spent.

Okay... just kidding about that last bit. Might have gone just a bit too far with the metaphor.

Gwynne said...

Well, I was feeling all warm and fuzzy there for a minute. ;-)

Tink said...

Ah! What is this mushy stuff all over your blog?!

So, I liked it.

But I'm only admitting it here.

Turtle said...

Tink: Admit it, gf! You love all the mushy stuff. *big smooch*

Foo said...

Tink: Darlin', you've got about zero right to pimp slap me over a bit of purple sentimentality. After some of the profound stuff you've published? Shee-oot...

Gwynne, Eric: Never fear. I'll be back burping and scratching and saying blunt, not-quite-fit-for-mixed-company stuff in no time.

But a man gotta give his woman her propers, yo.

Anne said...

Okay, please don't burp and scrath. But if you do, please post a moving picture with sound so we have a good visual of the event. :)

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...