01 May, 2006

Madre, May 1?

So here we are. The first day of May... Uno de Mayo. The day when those who support illegal immigration to the United States say they're going to knock its citizens off our high horse. They claim they're going to shut the economy down and show us that we can't possibly live without them.

Maybe they will; maybe they won't. Maybe we can't... but maybe we can.

Stage set. Moving along.

Before going out for Saturday's bike ride, I was flipping around the morning news programs and came across some cabeza que habla delivering his dire warning about the crushing blow his group planned to deliver to the U.S. economy on May 1.

Primal Wear's Iron EagleI have to tell you, it got me stirred up and feeling patriotic. It made me feel like waving around my flag, so I trotted out the Iron Eagle jersey.

After my bike ride, I stopped by Schlotsky's Deli to pick up some lunch. While I was standing at the pick-up window, waiting for my food, the young man who was slicing and wrapping the sandwiches on the other side of the counter eyed my attire.

I'm used to this, of course. A middle-aged guy in brightly-colored, form-fitting lycra should be considered a source of some amusement.

"Hey," he said, giving me the chin jerk. "That's a really cool shirt, man."

"Thanks," I said. "I was feeling patriotic this morning."

In response, one of the women working nearby turned to a couple of her co-workers with a smirk and fired off a machine gun burst of Spanish that may or may not have included the word "gringo".

"Yeah," I continued, "as a citizen of the United States, I have the right—no... the duty—to express my allegiance as I see fit."

And if that means strutting around a sandwich shop looking like a chubby, sawn-off Captain America knockoff, then so be it.

10 comments:

Tink said...

What I want to know is... WHERE in the world did you find this getup? ;)

Foo said...

I believe it was Performance Bike.

Gwynne said...

And if that means strutting around a sandwich shop looking like a chubby, sawn-off Captain America knockoff, then so be it.

In fact, I think it's your duty. ;-)

Turtle said...

Tink: If you could see some of the other bike jerseys Foo has had his eye on -- this one is very cool! They have some he has eyed in the past, and I'm like "oh no way!" Usually, they have gargoyles and goofy stuff on them. Of course, he's joking because they cost so much, and we don't have money to burn. I'm much more conservative with my "Biker Chick" jersey in neon pink. http://tinyurl.com/hbxth

*big grin*

Allez said...

I like the jersey and the Captain America reference! It sounds like something a good friend of mine would say.

Foo said...

Gwynne: It's among my duties, at least. And Turtle seems to enjoy the strutting part—although I suspect her angle is less titillation and more comic relief.

Allez: Welcome! And thanks for making me feel a little less like I'm the only loon on the planet who would have bought that jersey. The Biker Chick jersey you're sporting over on That Other Site has a special place in my heart, by the way. My bride has one just like it.

Susie: As far as I know, it's not an annual thing. The May 1 [illegal] Immigrant Boycott was a mass walkout organised by supporters of illegal immigrants, the intent of which was to show Americans that our lives couldn't go on if they didn't show up to mow our lawns, wash our dishes, and all the other jobs that illegal aliens do because the rest of us consider such duties beneath us.

I suppose the fact that I mow, trim, water, fertilise, weed, and (sometimes) rake my own yard is beside the point, as is the fact that I wash my own dishes and clean my own house.

In addition, illegal immigrants were encouraged not to shop or do anything else that put money into the economy, thus showing that their dollars are necessary to keep the U.S. economy moving.

Around here, at least, the only effect I noticed was that traffic was slightly lighter, and I heard on the radio that the only businesses that were particularly affected by the boycott were small businesses in illegal immigrant communities.

Gwynne said...

I think prancing might be more comical than strutting, but maybe that's just me. ;-)

Re: the boycott, I didn't realize there was also the no-shopping commandment. I thought they were just supposed to stay home. This makes me feel even better about buying a refrigerator and a new van on the same day. ;-)

Foo said...

Oh, I don't know about that, Gwynne. "Commandment" might be a bit strong. "Edict" maybe.

Gwynne said...

Or "uninspired lunacy." You pick. ;-)

Turtle said...

On the day of protest, we went to the grocery store, and I didn't notice a thing being any different. So (as I had hoped) it failed. Now, perhaps I will get a job, because staying at home is beginning to warp my mind. Foo knows this well. We've been picking on one another way too much lately. I sowwy sweetie. Can we makeup later?

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...