10 May, 2006

Eye opener

Ever since that whole cancer thing a few years ago, I've a tendency to be a bit anxious about the various small, unexplained pains and anatomical anomalies that we all experience from time to time. Lately, the focus of my hypochondria has been my eyes.

No pun intended.

I'm extremely nearsighted*, and the last time I went to an optometrist he informed me that, as a consequence of this, my eye pressure was quite high and should be closely watched. He said that if I ever felt any shooting pains in my eyes, I should immediately go to the nearest optometrist as this was a sign that my retinas were separating from my eyeballs. Further, he stressed the importance of coming in for a checkup at least once a year.

That was over three years ago, so when I started occasionally getting short, sharp pains in my eyes, I started thinking about finally getting around to finding a new eye doctor to go with our new town. And yet I kept putting if off, because the word "glaucoma" had got pretty firmly lodged in the back of my mind and I didn't want to risk having that confirmed before Turtle's and my big vacation.

Not knowing about any of this, Turtle scheduled me an appointment with an opthalmologist.

So I went, remembering that the last time I went to an actual eye doctor—as opposed to a vendor of prescriptive lenses with a license to prescribe them—I passed out. Something about the whole process of numbing and dilating the eyes and pressing some sort of sci-fi blue light against my eyeballs makes me squeamish. When I get squeamish, my blood pressure drops (and so do I).

When I arrived at the doctor's office, I warned them of my swoonish tendencies. They told me to warn the doctor when I was called in for my exam. I told the doctor. The doctor told me to try not to hit my head if I passed out.

What a stitch, this guy. [click-click. BOOM!]

A couple things happened, and one didn't. I learned that my previous eye "doctor" should have been selling shoes, because I do not have glaucoma or even high eye pressure. I also learned that because of the shape of my eyeball cup (or something), my risk of ever having those problems was minute.

And I didn't pass out from the pressure test.

But wait! Having got my pressure test out of the way, I still had to go through the whole dilation process, at which point I learned something else that's useful to know: it's the sensation of my pupils dilating that makes me queasy, not the blue light. Seated safely in the staging area, I put my head between my knees and fought through it without incident.

It would have been really embarrassing if I'd passed out in front of the elderly lady with the drool running down her chin.

Finally, I was finished and, much relieved about the results of my checkup, I ventured outside and gave thanks to my Maker that my appointment had been scheduled on a very cloudy day. Though I was squinting even with my sunglasses on, I decided it wouldn't hurt anything to stop by the bike shop to pick up a few tubes (since I'd given away my spare).

At the bike shop, I had great fun showing my freaky eyes to a couple of the staffers with whom I've become friends.

"Holy crap," one of them said. "They're all black! You look like that one guy from Carnivàle. Or... or..."

"One of the tar alien-infected characters from The X-files?"

"Yeah. Or like that."

Unfortunately, half an hour was plenty of time for my luck to run out. By the time I left, it was a beautiful, horrible sunny day out.

Oh yeah... and I need bifocals.


* There is a space of about two inches, about six inches from my eyes, within which I can see clearly without corrective lenses. We're talking somewhere north of 20/1200. Yet every time I go to an eye doctor, he or she confiscates my glasses and asks me to read the chart waaaaaayyy down at the far end of the room.

"Can you read any of that, Mr. Mafoo?"

"Gee, I don't know," I say, not at all sarcastically. "Can you give me a hint? Like, say, turning my head generally in the direction of whatever it is I'm supposed to be reading?"

7 comments:

Gwynne said...

I can empathize with lots of that...the fear of glaucoma (reminding me to make an appointment and renew my Rx for special preventive drops), the fear of the Blue Light, the fun of scaring people with Big Dilated Eyes (my pupils are large anyway), and needing to be pointed in the general direction of the eyechart, let alone actually read any of it. ;-) And oh, try reading Blindness, by Saramego, that Eric just reviewed...eeek! Now, I'm afraid I might overdose on glaucoma drops! ;-)

Tink said...

"as this was a sign that my retinas were separating from my eyeballs" Eeeeee! I am going to have NIGHTMARES about that. I actually cupped my eye to read the rest of your post because it started having phantom pains.

"it's the sensation of my pupils dilating that makes me queasy, not the blue light." That's crazy! I learn something new everyday. Don't you feel lucky? You provided my one "thing." :)

I'm glad the visit went well. You had me really worried at first.

Jenn said...

I worked for four opthalmologist in Colorado. I quit after 4 mos. because I am become floor bound, as well over the slightest things. Especially when clients bring in their eye cupped in their hand. (I faint every time I have blood drawn)

Look on the bright side (pun intended) you must have obtained some snazzy black windshield things called sunglasses?

Foo said...

Emma: Sorry, I didn't experience the sunglass things. The receptionist tried to give me one, but I figured I could probabaly manage to find my way to the car, where I had my custom clip-ons. Should I have taken it? Is it darker than regular sunglasses? I could have used welding goggles, once the sun came out.

Susie: If I had the energy, I could get up and check, but I seem to recall my prescription is like -5.something. For at least one of the eyes. One's a little better; one's a little worse.

Anyway, the worst that came out of the exam is that I need a new prescription with bifocals.

Allez said...

My eyes watered from reading this!

Anne said...

My mother-in-law has had two detached retinas and now deals with scar tissue. She had 20/20 vision before the retina problems. It has taken a toll on her.

Glad to know all went well with your exam. Sorry for the bifocals.

Anonymous said...

My pre-lasik (in 2000) vision was 20:400 or so... which in analog terms translates to "WHAT big 'E' on the chart??? Chart, you say???" And before this, I could not wear soft contacts, apparently due to my corneas being extremely flat -- which, being nearsighted, I think means I have extremely long (a.k.a. 'football shaped') eyeballs as well...

I'm not suggesting this at all, but the lasik procedure(s) took me to 20:25 or so, which has been very nice, but also took me right over the edge to needing reading glasses...

And yes, dilation is NOT a pleasant effect, unless you count wierding out teenage girls behind the checkout counter at the store...

Paul

Crying Fowl

This morning, at the end of this week's obligatory commute to the office, I turned in to the driveway and was accosted by the biggest ho...